7.20.2011

Buzz on in...


I know it's summer, and I'm supposed to off lounging by the pool every day or jetting off on vacation every week...or whatever all the non-teachers accuse us of doing during our summer break (out of jealousy of course). But as July winds down, all I can think about is my classroom.

I'm staying at my same wonderful school for my second year of
teaching, but moving from third grade to second grade. As I prepare for my new room & new grade level, my mind has been buzzing non-stop with ideas for decorations, activities, and management tactics. Every night before I fall asleep, I am envisioning the ideas for the school year.

The first thing I wanted to get straight was a theme. I know themes aren't necessary-- last year I had the very bare bones of a "town" theme and learning still happened-- but since my ideas for my new room kept zooming all over the place, I wanted a focus. I found that focus through my rug. Last year, my extremely generous principal let me choose a new rug for my classroom. I absolutely love this rug and it was complimented by everyone who came into my room.

A portion of the seriously gorgeous rug :)

Its pattern inspired me to choose a nature-themed classroom for this year. Since "nature" still spans a pretty expansive spectrum, I honed in on the "garden" aspects (think: sun, flowers, bees, ladybugs...).

Once this was chosen, my mind immediately hooked on coming up with a catchy phrase to put around our doorway. Again, not necessary...but oh so cute and fun! I racked my brain (and the Internet) for days before finally landing on the right combo of words when at the mall with my boyfriend. (I don't think he was as excited as I was, about the phrase or our activity).

So here it is... Buzz on in to our 2nd grade garden!

Much more to come... can't wait to share :)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE THEME! I made a giant bumble bee last year out of butcher paper and put it on my door. It was pretty easy to make! I can't wait to see more pictures. We can be blog buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the catchy phrase!! Super cute! Can't wait to hear about more of your upcoming school year :)

    ReplyDelete